Saturday, December 13, 2008

perhaps the strangest thing

I've been wriggling around in my metaphorical seat for weeks, waiting for Ben to post the pictures of our trip to Mr. Pizza to try out potato pizza, which came very highly recommended by his students. Finally, finally he has posted! Check out his entry here.

I have to say that this was perhaps the strangest eating experience I've had in Tianjin. Parts of the pizza were normal: crust, sauce, cheese, ham, onions. And I've seen enough pizza in China not to be too surprised by potatoes or corn on pizza. But mayonnaise? Corn flakes? Pumpkin in the crust? Truly, it must be seen to be believed.

When I told my sister about it, she said, "If I'd ordered pizza, and they brought me that, I would cry. Literally, cry tears." There was no crying involved for us, but I do have to admit, it was a bit baffling.

No comments: