Monday, August 25, 2008

Here I Am

Well, it seems my old blog is one of the many sites that cannot be accessed in China; for whatever reason, wordpress.com is completely blocked. But, as with so many other situations in China, when one pathway closes down, you just find yourself another, more accessible path. Our experience in China so far has been all about finding "work-arounds," (like circumlocution, for example, which is a skill I find myself using on a daily basis).

Anyway, I wanted to quickly post an update. The past week has been a bit of a blur. We arrived in Tianjin last Sunday (August 17) and thanks to a lot of help from Ben's employer and my brother Sam, we moved into our new apartment two days later. One week and 17 trips to Carrefour later, we are pretty comfortably established there. The only thing we are lacking at this point is internet service, which is supposed to be set up tomorrow sometime. In the meantime, we have had access to the internet only when we go somewhere with free Wi-Fi. Thus, our sketchy communication thus far.

I have a lot to write about: our apartment, for example. And our experience trying to get registered at the local police station. And the girl who sells us our bottled water who has become our new friend. And my brother's fiance's very cool family. But I'll save those posts for another day (maybe tomorrow?). In the meantime, I just wanted to say all is well here. We are healthy and safe, and we've been generally well cared-for. (So stop worrying, mom.)

No comments: