Thursday, August 28, 2008

a misconception

Lately we've been repeatedly encountering a particular misconception. Here's one example:


This afternoon, our landlord (who does not speak English) brought over some bookshelves for the office area in our apartment. I couldn't remember the word for "bookshelves" in Chinese, so after he set up the shelves, I asked him what they were called. He told me: "shu jia." OK--great. Then in the next breath he said (in Chinese), "You put books on them."


Ahem. Yes. You put books on them. I'm not an idiot, man. I mean, these are clearly bookshelves. I just didn't know what they were called in Chinese.



But this wasn't the first time my/our lack of linguistic ability was confused with general ignorance about the world here. Ben has encountered similar situations. For example, when Ben takes a cab, being unable to speak Chinese, he shows the cabbie a card or a piece of paper with an address on it. On a couple of occasions, when he has arrived at his destination, the cabbie has acted completely shocked that Ben is able to read the amount of money he owes the cab driver and give him correct change. No, he can't pronounce his destination in Chinese, but that doesn't mean he can't read a digital display of arabic numerals and match it to the arabic numerals on some paper bills.



I'm not saying this kind of thing doesn't take place in the States. It's like how some people, upon realizing they are talking to a non-English-speaker, just speak English louder and LOUDER. No, they don't speak English, but that doesn't make them deaf. Well, we don't speak Chinese (well), but that doesn't make us idiots.



I don't mean to sound angry about this phenomenon (does it come off that way?). I mostly find it laughable. Just a little quirk of being verbally challenged in a foreign country. Anyone had experiences like this?

2 comments:

Patrick said...

I am in a coffee shop and people are looking at me funny because I am laughing out loud!

Jason said...

When I was in Germany (speaking absolutely no German) and looking for the right bus to get to the university, I tried asking a few people waiting near the street. The first few spoke NO english, but instead of saying as much, they just smiled and said nothing... It was straight out of the twilight zone... and it happened more than once that week.

I miss you guys!...