Tuesday, August 26, 2008

next step: learn to read a menu


Ben and I went out to a restaurant for dinner last night. We're on a quest to get to know our neighborhood a bit better, to become familiar with the local restaurants, shops, and other businesses that are within walking distance. So, we went to this restaurant across the street.

The entire experience convinced me that I really should have spent more time this summer learning to read the names of foods in Chinese, and less time reviewing the vocabulary from the lessons in my textbook. I ordered a couple of dishes that looked like something semi-familiar in the photographs in the menu. What we got were:


  • A very oily dish consisting of some kind of green vegetable and pieces of unidentifiable seafood (eel? salted fish?)

  • A very spicy dish that came in a pot over a flame. It was pretty tasty, but full of peppers and...we soon discovered...some unidentifiable meat item which we think was probably intestine of some sort. However, Ben wouldn't allow me to say out loud that it was intestine. At least not while he was eating it.

  • A nice, cold vegetable dish, consisting of greens in sesame oil, and which was absolutely necessary to put out the fire in our mouths after eating dish #2.

So, the task for today is to learn to recognize the names of food items beyond "tang cu li ji" (sweet and sour pork) and "hong shao niu rou" (beef braised in soy sauce). Sorry KU Chinese class, but you've really let me down here.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

That sounds like sooooo much fun. I miss China!