Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving in Tianjin

First of all: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Thanksgiving is nearly over here--it's about 10:00 pm as I write. I have to say, today didn't really feel like Thanksgiving. Other than a few "Happy Thanksgivings" from my classmates, it was really a pretty average Thursday. For one thing, I didn't get to sleep in. I got up early, did a little homework, went to class at 8:00. After class, I went out to lunch with some classmates (Chinese fast food, not turkey and fixin's), picked up a few things at Carrefour, and then went back to campus to study for awhile.

Ben and I did go out for a "Thanksgiving dinner" with one of my American classmates, Nathan, who was, conincidentally, one of my classmates in Chinese class back at KU, too. No, our Thanksgiving night dinner did not include turkey and stuffing. Instead, it was made up of some of our favorite dishes at a restaurant we frequent just down the street from our house. Have a look:


Ben and Nathan drinking a little pre-dinner tea.


Here's me and Nathan before our fabulous feast.




This dish is beef, onions, and cilantro, heavily seasoned with cumin, and served in a pot over a flame at your table. Spicy and exciting.





These are a kind of pancake, filled with what I think are garlic shoots. They have a very strong flavor--a little goes a long, long way.




This is Ben's favorite dish ever. We get it every time we go to this restaurant. It's green beans and salted celery, lightly battered, tossed with sesame seeds, and then fried with garlic and red peppers.

After dinner, I made the pie for tomorrow's Thanksgiving turkey dinner. Thanks to Ben's years of baking practice, the crimped edges turned out pretty well. I just hope it tastes as good as it looks.
Even if today didn't feel like Thanksgiving, I have so much to be thankful for in my life. I'm thankful for the opportunities I'm having here to meet people, and to learn about Chinese culture. I'm thankful for my friends here. Most of all, I'm so thankful for all of you, my friends and family back home. I'm consider myself blessed to have so much love and support in my life, even if it is (this year) from afar.
I hope you're all having an enjoyable Thanksgiving day. Eat lots of turkey and take lots of naps today--do it up true American Thanksgiving style for me!





No comments: