Thursday, January 1, 2009

almost finished

The end of the semester is upon us. Today is Ben's last day of class for the semester. Tuesday was my last day of actual classes, but I still have two days of final exams to look forward to. Monday, January 5, is the big test day. That's the day I will have my written and listening exams. On Tuesday afternoon I have my final speaking exam.

In theory, I am studying like mad right now, reviewing everything we've covered all semester, and getting ready for those big tests. In reality, I have spent the past couple of days doing everything but studying. I did put in a few hours of work on Thursday, New Year's Eve. But yesterday, even though I started out with the best of intentions, I spent the whole day doing everything (i.e., eating at Zhou You's parents' house, shopping at the cool big bookstore, going grocery shopping, watching Men In Black, falling asleep on the sofa, etc.) except study. And if you thought I exhausted my options of "ways to avoid studying" yesterday, well, you definitely thought wrong. I've spent this morning facebooking, messing around online, doing laundry, putting cute little stickers on my laptop keyboard, reading the news . . . I've even considered actually cleaning our apartment rather than sitting down and studying. If you know me, then you know that means I really don't want to study.

On the one hand, I know it's because, after this long semester, I'm pretty much studied out. I'm ready for a break. On the other hand, I'm having a very difficult time convincing myself that studying will be a worthwhile undertaking. We've learned about 1000 new words this semester, and at least 80 new grammar patterns. There's no way I'll have time to thoroughly review everything we've studied, so then, how to choose what to review? How to approach it? If I don't already know it, it doesn't seem reasonable to think I'm going to know it before Monday.

I know, I know...I really just need to suck it up, stop messing around online, and just get to work on as much of it as possible. If only I can get myself to comply with what I logically know I need to do. I'll just keep telling myself, at least studying is more enjoyable than cleaning the toilet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you will rule your exams, study or not, because you are queen of all things chinese. when i think china, i think erin, and my thoughts say you will pass. my heart says hurry home.

erin said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Shannon. I'm not sure what I've done to earn the title "queen of all things Chinese," but I'll be sure to tell all my neighbors. I'm sure they'll be glad to hear the queen lives amongst them :D Love and miss you much!