Thursday, January 22, 2009

travel update: Shanghai

Well, we made it to Shanghai, after one of the most uncomfortable train rides I've ever taken in my entire life. Our beds in the sleeper car were comfortable enough, but it was just about the temperature of the sun in our cabin. I woke up in the middle of the night, sweating and panting. I had to find a way to squiggle out of my long underwear without falling off of my narrow little bunk or waking up any of the passengers around me. Then I rolled up my jeans and shirt as much as was decently possible. It was still hot. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that night.

Nevertheless, we've been having a great time since we got here. Shanghai is an interesting city--it has had a long history of Western influence, which is evident in the city's architecture and the people's attitudes here. We've been really busy since we got here. We spent the entire first day at the Shanghai Museum and the Shanghai Art Museum. That night we were able to meet up with our friend, Jen K, who is ending her tour of China here in Shanghai, at a nearby bar for drinks.

Yesterday we visited a Buddhist temple, and took a boat tour of the Bund on the Huangpu River. Then last night we went with Jen's tour group to see the Shanghai Circus, one of the most incredible acrobatic shows I've ever seen. Imagine Cirque du Soleil times 12. Unfortunately, no cameras were allowed in the show, so I wasn't able to get any pictures.

I've taken a ton of photos of other things since we've been here, but my camera and cable are up in the room with a still-sleeping Nathan. I don't want to wake him while I dig around in my bags for things. Not to worry, though--internet access is very available, so I'll put up some shots soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nathan? Who's Nathan, and why is he sleeping in your room? What have you done with my brother? Have you Shanghai-ed someone to be a replacement husband? (couldn't resist)

Glad to hear you're having a good trip so far.