Tuesday, February 24, 2009

trip update: Dazu County

My last trip-related post was about our train-ride to Chongqing. Unfortunately, Chongqing itself was not one of the most pleasant stops in our month-long trip. So much so, in fact, that I'm not really going to post much about Chongqing. Actually the big highlight of Chongqing was the one day we left Chongqing proper to see the stone carvings of nearby Dazu County.

The stone and cave carvings of Dazu county are actually located in a number of spots all over the county, but we had the opportunity to visit only one of these spots. That one location was enough, though. The carvings are generally depictions of scenes and figures, influenced by Confucian, Taoist, and Buddhist beliefs. They are incredibly intricate, and really impressive. Some of the carvings are quite large, like the reclining Buddha below. Others are broad scenes with hundreds of small figures, carved in incredible detail. It wasn't really something we had planned on seeing, but it ended up being one of the most impressive places we visited on our entire trip.

One of many Buddhas



Scenes of filial piety







Figures of the underworld



Me and the reclining Buddha

1 comment:

Dr. Nancy Champion Cartwright said...

Hmm. I'm just reading the posts for about the 10th time. I love them and I see "Chongqing"-- and your inference that it was a bit boring. I remember in the 50's when Chung King Boxed Chinese dinners hit the shelves. Don't even go there about how old I was. I remember at the time it seemed so exotic when Mom fixed those sad canned bean sprouts and nasty sauce. Then the exotic Peking Palace opened in the Valley and we got the "real stuff"--what a difference. I wonder if the Chung Kings are the same?