Thursday, September 4, 2008

when "simplified" isn't simple

It's been a busy week here at the Billing-Cartwright abode.

Ben has nearly completed his first week as an English/History teacher at a Chinese International school. It's been a pretty hard week for him, I think. He's had to deal with a lot of unexpected situations, while trying to gauge: 1.) exactly what level of language ability his students actually have, and 2.) what exactly his employers are expecting of him as a teacher. Add to the mix the facts that he doesn't speak Chinese or Korean, and he has never actually taught history (or high school students, for that matter), and it all makes for a pretty stressful week for Ben. But he's done a great job of making the best of things, and I think he's starting to feel more and more comfortable at work.

I've been pretty busy, too, which is why I haven't posted much in the past couple of days. This week was registration and orientation week at my school. I told you a little bit about day one of registration. Well, yesterday, I took part in the most stressful part of registration, which was a grueling language placement exam. Before you ask, I'll just tell you: it didn't go so great. But then again, I guess it didn't go so badly, either.

One problem was that I showed up about 5 minutes late, thanks to my bike tire going flat again. (I hope I have finally taken care of that problem for good, or at least for good for awhile.) The test was broken into four 20 minute segments, so I had to do the first segment, "vocabulary" in about 15 minutes. That was a bad way to start the exam. I started out pretty anxious, and that was before I had even read any of the questions.

Another problem was the fact that, in mainland China, they use jiantizi, or simplified characters. For the past two years, I have been studying fantizi, or traditional characters. Sometimes simplified and traditional characters look mostly or somewhat the same. But sometimes they don't look anything alike at all. That element made reading the test rather difficult at times, and made me move very s l o w l y through the exam. Even when I had learned the vocabulary, I sometimes didn't recognize it because the characters looked so different. That really heightened my frustration level.

Also, all incoming students of all levels took the same test. That means there were questions for people way below my learning level, but there were also questions for people way above my learning level. When you get to several questions that you just completely don't understand (full of words you've never seen or learned), it can be a rather intimidating situation. In the end, I think I let myself get overwhelmed over the course of the test. I probably could have scored better if I had just taken a deep breath, relaxed, and been able to calm myself down, but . . . no. I totally botched the last section, the reading comprehension part--I hope no one I know ever sees that section, because it was embarrassingly bad.

Anyway, the result, as I found out this morning, was that I was place in Beginner's level 2.
Before the exam, I thought I might be placed in Beginners 3 or Intermediate 1, so my placement was a bit below my expectations. On the other hand, immediately after the exam, I wondered if they would have a low enough level to place me anywhere, so I can't be too unhappy.

I spent some time talking to Sam about all this (he has a lot of experience both studying Chinese language here, and advising others who are studying Chinese here), and he convinced me that, no matter where I'm placed, it will be a good opportunity for me to learn simplified characters, and to really solidify the vocabulary and grammar points I have already learned. I think he's right. I bought my books this morning, and I can already see that there is a lot of vocabulary in them that I don't know already, so I know I'll learn a lot this year.

Next step: learn the simplified versions of the hundreds of words I already know. Before Monday. (um. sure. I can do that.)

No comments: